Microsoft provides a wide range of products and services essential for many businesses worldwide. To ensure that professionals have the required skills to use these products and services effectively, Microsoft offers certification courses.
These certifications validate an individual’s expertise in areas such as .NET, Azure, Visual Studio, and MS Project. As a result, there is an increasing demand for Azure experts who have completed these certification programs. This article will provide detailed insights on a wide range of Azure certifications.
Why Do You Need to Get Microsoft Azure Certifications?
With the continuous advancement in technology, the average lifetime of a skill today is less than five years. As we live in a cloud-based and connected world, it is crucial to continuously develop and update your skills, knowledge, and abilities.
Are you thinking about leveling up your professional career or starting a new one? In today’s time of uncertainty, getting a Microsoft Certification can give you an advantage in the job market.
Regardless of your current professional status, Azure certifications can assist you in leveling up and achieving your goals. These certifications play a pivotal role in developing and validating your technical knowledge and abilities in the modern cloud environment.
Microsoft Azure Certifications 2023
Microsoft has significantly updated its Azure certification program, offering a diverse range of certifications for various roles within Azure. In order to help you find the right certifications, we have classified the certifications according to specific job roles.
1. Microsoft Azure Fundamentals
This is the entry-level certification for those who are new to Azure and want to learn the basics of the platform.
Microsoft Azure Fundamentals (AZ-900)
It is a beginner-level certification exam that tests your knowledge of the basics of cloud computing and the Microsoft Azure platform. This exam is a prerequisite for other Azure certifications. It is designed for candidates with little to no prior experience with Azure. The exam covers the following topics:
- Cloud Concepts: It includes basic cloud computing concepts, such as scalability, elasticity, and the benefits of using the cloud.
- Azure Services: This section involves Azure services and how they can be used to support different business scenarios. These services include data storage, virtual machines, and networking.
- Azure Pricing and Support: It includes understanding the costs associated with using Azure and the different support options available.
- Azure Security, Compliance, and Privacy: It involves Azure’s security features and how they can be used to protect data and comply with regulatory requirements.
2. Microsoft Azure Administrator Certification
This certification indicates that the individual has the knowledge and skills to manage and monitor Azure resources. These may include virtual machines, storage accounts, and virtual networks. This certification also covers topics such as Azure security, disaster recovery, and pricing and billing.
Microsoft Azure Administrator Exam (AZ-104)
To earn the certification, individuals must pass the Microsoft Azure Administrator Exam (AZ-104). The exam covers the following topics:
- Managing Azure subscriptions and resources
- Configuring and managing virtual networks
- Managing Azure Active Directory
- Managing identities
- Monitoring and troubleshooting Azure resources
3. Microsoft Azure Developer Certification
This certification is for Azure developers who want to design, build, and test Azure solutions. It covers areas such as Azure App Service, Azure Functions, and Azure storage. The certification includes two exams:
Microsoft Azure Developer Associate (AZ-204)
This exam focuses on developing solutions utilizing Azure PaaS services. It covers topics including Azure storage, functions, cosmos DB, and security.
Microsoft Azure Developer Certification (AZ-203)
This exam focuses on developing solutions using Azure PaaS and IaaS services. It covers topics including computing, storage, security, and monitoring.
4. Microsoft Azure Solutions Architect Certification
This certification is for professionals who want to design and implement Azure solutions. There are two exams for Microsoft Azure Solutions Architect:
AZ-303: Microsoft Azure Architect Technologies
This exam focuses on the technologies and tools used to design and implement Azure solutions, including Azure Virtual Machines, Azure Web Apps, and Azure Storage.
AZ-304: Microsoft Azure Architect Design
This exam focuses on the design and implementation of Azure solutions, including Azure Virtual Machines, Azure Web Apps, and Azure Storage, as well as Azure networking, security, and governance.
5. Microsoft Azure DevOps Engineer Certification
This certification is for candidates who are interested in implementing DevOps practices in Azure.
Microsoft Azure DevOps Engineer certification exam (AZ-400)
To get this certification, Azure DevOps Engineers must pass the Microsoft Azure DevOps Engineer certification exam (AZ-400). This exam tests the candidate’s knowledge and skills in designing and implementing DevOps practices using Azure technologies.
It covers topics such as implementing continuous integration, continuous delivery, and infrastructure as code, as well as using Azure DevOps to manage source control, code reviews, and project management.
To prepare for the exam, candidates can take the Azure DevOps Engineer Expert certification training course, which covers the exam topics in depth and provides hands-on experience with Azure DevOps.
Additionally, they can also use the Azure DevOps documentation, tutorials, and other resources provided by Microsoft to gain a better understanding of the concepts and tools covered in the exam.
6. Microsoft Azure Security Engineer Certification
This certification indicates a professional’s knowledge and expertise in securing Microsoft Azure environments. It is best for individuals who have experience working with Azure security features and technologies and are responsible for implementing, monitoring, and managing security controls in Azure.
Microsoft Azure Security Engineer AZ-400 Certification Exam
The candidates must pass this exam to get this certification. Some of the key topics covered in the AZ-500 certification exam include:
- Identity and access management
- Data protection
- Security operations
- Platform protection
- Security management and monitoring
To prepare for the AZ-500 exam, candidates should have a strong understanding of Azure security features and technologies. Also, they should have experience working with Azure environments. Microsoft offers a variety of resources to help candidates prepare for the exam, including online training courses, study guides, and practice exams.
7. Microsoft Azure Data Engineer Certification
This certification program is best for data engineers, data architects, and data scientists who want to demonstrate their ability to work with Azure data services.
Microsoft Azure Data Engineer Associate exam (DP-200 and DP-201)
The certification is based on the Microsoft Azure Data Engineer Associate exam (DP-200 and DP-201). The exam includes questions regarding designing and implementing:
- Data storage solutions
- Data processing solutions
- Monitor and troubleshoot data solutions
- Data security and compliance solutions
This certification is valid for 2 years. Hence, they need to reappear for the Microsoft Azure Data Engineer Associate exam every 2 years.
8. Microsoft Azure AI Engineer Certification
It is a professional-level certification that demonstrates a candidate’s ability to design, implement, and maintain AI solutions on the Azure platform. This certification is a good option for professionals with a strong understanding of AI and machine learning concepts and experience working with Azure AI services.
Microsoft Azure AI Engineer – AI-100
To become a certified Microsoft Azure AI Engineer, a candidate must pass Microsoft Azure AI Engineer – AI-100. It covers the following topics:
- Designing AI solutions using Azure AI services
- Implementing AI solutions using Azure AI services
- Managing and monitoring AI solutions using Azure AI services
- Securing and troubleshooting AI solutions using Azure AI services
This certification is valid for two years and can be renewed by passing the latest version of the exam or by earning continuing education credits.
Top Reasons to Get Microsoft Azure Certifications
Some of the most common reasons to get Azure certifications include:
- Career Advancement: A Microsoft Azure certification can show your expertise and knowledge in cloud computing, which is becoming increasingly crucial in today’s job market. It can help you find new career opportunities.
- Increased Earning Potential: Companies are willing to pay more for employees with Azure certifications, as they are considered experts in the field. Also, it can help you get higher salaries and better job offers.
- Recognition: Microsoft Azure certifications are widely recognized and respected in the industry. These certifications indicate that you have the skills and knowledge to work with Microsoft Azure, which is used by many organizations worldwide.
- Learning Opportunities: Preparing for an Azure certification can help you learn new skills and keep up-to-date with the latest Azure technologies. Also, it can help you understand how to use Azure in a real-world setting.
- Competitive Advantage: Having an Azure certification gives a competitive edge in the job market. It shows that you have the skills and knowledge to work with Azure, which is becoming increasingly important in the industry.
Is Azure Certification Harder than AWS?
It depends on the specific certification and the individual’s level of experience and knowledge in the field. Both Azure and AWS have a range of certifications, each with varying levels of difficulty. Some people may find Azure certifications more challenging due to the different technologies and concepts used. In contrast, others may find AWS certifications more challenging due to the breadth of services offered. Ultimately, it is up to the individual to assess their own knowledge and experience and determine which certification they feel would be more challenging for them.